Step 1: 300hr Yoga Therapist Training
Presented by Yoga Among Friends, Yoga & Ayurveda Center, and the Surya Chandra Healing Yoga School in the traditions of T. Krishnamacharya
This unique teacher training is for students of yoga who realize that yoga is a deeply intimate experience of the body-mind-spirit and that its beauty lies in how differently it is expressed from person to person. This program is not so much about the information you will learn, but about the personal transformation you will undergo.
The integrated curriculum of this 300-hour program is designed for students who want to teach yoga or go more deeply into their own practice. Students joining to deepen their own practice may find that the journey to becoming a yoga teacher is one of incredible rewards. Our program places emphasis on the transformation of individuals through quality, excellence, and integrity of a complete education in the art, science and philosophy of yoga.
Open your heart and become a part of this unique community - establish lasting friendships with like-minded individuals, enter into a study group, and go deeper into these beautiful teachings.
You will mentor privately with one of the program faculty at least three times throughout the program to further develop your daily personal practice. During these meetings you will gain invaluable knowledge of yourself and yoga principles as you establish a strong mentor-mentee relationship.
Graduation & Yoga Alliance
Graduates of this 300-hour program may submit their certificate to the Yoga Alliance along with their 200-hour certificate to be a RYT-500. Graduates may also choose to continue their journey to become a yoga therapist with the next 500 hours for the 1000-hr Yoga Therapy Program.
SCHYS, of which Yoga Among Friends is a partner, is a Yoga Alliance registered yoga school.
PrerequisitesThis program is designed for teachers who have a RYT-200 from the Yoga Alliance (or equivalent) and logged 100 teaching hours (or 1 year of teaching).
- Modules: 180 Hours: Students are required to attend 11 modules. At least one faculty member will be present for all modules, with 2 faculty present for at least 4 of the modules.
- Retreat: 20 Hours: The cost of the retreat is not included in your program fees. You must attend one retreat sponsored by SCHYS or approved by the Director.
- Online Classes: 28 Hours: You are required to take online classes as a way of enhancing the learning experience. Take these classes at your own pace—starting at any point throughout the program. We recommend that you complete at least one hour per week to ensure that they are finished by the end of the program. All online classes must be completed before requesting the final exam.
- Faculty Mentorship: 4 Hours: Faculty mentorship is required for self-growth using yoga therapy, asana, pranayama, and meditation practice. You are required to schedule at least 4 one-hour private sessions with your faculty mentor. The cost of these sessions is not included in the program fees.
- Faculty Practicum: 20 Hours: You are required to observe and/or assist your faculty mentor (or approved teacher) in their classes (group or individual) as a way of learning new ideas for teaching and helping others.
- Student Practicum: 48 Hours: You are required to teach on your own to individuals or to group classes using the new teaching methodologies learned throughout the program.
- Additional Responsibilities: In addition to the classroom hours, students are expected to complete: homework assignments. the study guide, a research paper (5-7 pages), and the final exam (open book).
Most weekend modules will be held at Yoga & Ayurveda Center from 5pm Friday through 5:30pm Sunday. Dates subject to change
|Oct 13 - 15||1.1 Introduction to Yoga in the Krischnamacharya Tradition, Introduction to Eastern Anatomy|
|Nov 3 – 5||1.2 Pranayama, Teaching Methodology, Course Planning|
|Dec 8 – 10||1.3 Western Anatomy and Alignment in Yoga Asana, Practice Teaching|
|Jan 12 – 14||1.4 Teaching Methodology, Energy Anatomy in Practice|
|Feb 16 – 18||1.5 Obstacles and Introspection (Kleshas and Svadhyaya)|
|Mar 2 – 4||1.6 Obstacles and Introspection (Kleshas and Svadhyaya)|
|Apr 6 – 8||1.7 Business of Yoga & Practice Teaching|
|May 4 – 6||1.8 Emotional Balance through Yoga, Practice Teaching|
|Jun 22 – 24||1.9 Ayurveda, Adjustments and Alignment, Practice Teaching|
|Jul 13 – 15||1.10 Philosophy, Practice Teaching|
|Sep 14 - 16||1.11 Meditation, Practice Teaching,Preparation for the Final|
Students are encouraged to begin reading The Heart of Yoga by T.K.V. Desikachar. Afterwards, the books may be read in any order; however, the philosophy texts are best read after taking the associated module or online class. Note: this is a general reading list; students will receive the most recent version upon enrollment in the program. Each Step will require 12-18 books, some of which are reference that can be shared between colleagues.
- The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice by T.K.V. Desikachar
- Health, Healing, &Beyond: Yoga & the Living Tradition of T. Krishnamacharya by T.K.V. Desikachar
- The Yoga of the Yogi: The Legacy of T. Krishnamacharya by Kausthub Desikachar
- Chakras for Beginners by David Pond
- Gentle Yoga for Everybody DVD with JJ Gormley
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff and Amy Matthews
- Trail Guide to the Body by Andrew Biel; and/or
- The Anatomy Coloring Book by Wynn Kapit and Lawrence M. Elson
- The Ramayana by William Buck (or other translation)
- A Life of Balance: The Complete Guide to Ayurvedic Nutrition and Body Types by Maya Tiwari
- Kaplan Medical Anatomy Coloring Book by Stephanie McCann and Eric Wise
- Eastern Body, Western Mind by Anodea Judith
- The Living Gita: The Complete Bhagavad—A Commentary for Modern Readers Gita by Swami Satchidananda
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Swami Satchidananda (or other translation)
- Asana Reference Manual by JJ Gormley & Scottie Brunch
- Steo 1 Study Guide and Workbook by JJ Gormley
- Holistic Healing with Yoga Therapy by JJ Gormley and Laura Vanderburg
Tuition for the 300-hour program is $3,600
The cost of this program includes all schedule program hours, online classe, apprenticeship hours, SCHYS Study Guide and Asana Reference Manual.
The cost of the program does not include the retreat, practicum, faculty mentorship, electives, make-up hours, travel expenses, books, and other supplies.
Payment Options - paid to SCHYS
Option A: $3,300
If paid prior to the start of the program.
Option B: $3,600
Three (3) payments of $1,200 paid within the first 5 months of the program start date.
Option C: $3,780
Six (6) payments of $630 each paid within the first 6 months of the program start date.
Option D: $3,900
Ten (10) payments of $390 each paid within the first 10 months of the program start date.
Other options and/or Scholarships may be available. Contact JJ at SCHYS for more information!
Non-refundable Administrative Fees
- Application fee: $53 due to Yoga Among Friends with application. This fee is non-refundable. Application fee and references should be provided within 2 weeks of submitting your application.
- Exam & Graduation fee: $150 due to SCHYS before final exam.
Both YAF and SCHYS take payment via check, credit card, and PayPal.
To apply for the program, you must submit the following:
- Completed 300 Hour Yoga Therapy Teacher Application
Request an application from JJ Gormley
- 2 personal references (someone who will be supportive to you during the training)
- 2 yoga references
- $53 non-refundable application fee (payable online —or mail a $50 ($3 discount) check to the studio)
Yoga Among Friends
4949 Forest Ave
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Once you have submitted your application, a SCHYS staff member will review and notify you if you have been accepted into the program. Once accepted, you will receive an Enrollment Agreement. Please sign and return it along with a $100 deposit, which will be deducted from your first payment.
This program will be held at the Yoga and Ayurveda Center (YAC) in Lombard, IL. Students are expected to attend monthly weekend modules at YAC, meet privately with a faculty member, and participate in online classes.
Yoga and Ayurveda Center
2 S Park Ave, 3rd Floor
Lombard, Illinois 60148